Thursday, April 29, 2010

Denmark and Anti-Semitism


I realize I might be making a mountain out of a molehill, however this is an image that needs to be seen. While I have not ever felt directly threatened for believing as I chose to believe in Copenhagen, nor do I think that Denmark is a country with a lot of anti-Semitic individuals or sentiment. However, as I was waiting for a train earlier today, I saw the drawing on a sign. I know it was done sometime yesterday as I took a train from the same stop yesterday and the drawing was not there when I left. I don't know who did it or why. For all I know it could be a really bad practical joke. If it is, it is not funny.

Something I learned early in life is that there is always a reason for a person to hate you. It can be anything: your biological sex, your gender performance, your sexual orientation, your creed, your ethnicity, your nationality, literally anything. Individuals who are/were universally loved are few and far between. I have come to accept that there are those who are going to hate me if I give them reason to, and those who are going to hate me with no reason. While I accept that being hated is part of life, I do what I can to minimize the reasons for personal hatred. Some might call this cowardice. I call it appropriate precautions.

The point I am trying to make is that while being hated or disliked makes me feel uncomfortable, I have grown used to a certain level of discomfort. The image which I have posted makes me feel more uncomfortable then I have felt in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment