Thursday, January 21, 2010

First Thoughts of Denmark

As mentioned in my last post, I was just slightly out of it. Not that I am ever fully with "it" (whatever "it" may be, but that is a post for another time.) I am currently studying in Denmark. Yes, that's right, Denmark. The Southernmost of the Scandinavian countries is where I will be for the next four months, and at every step, I can't but help to draw up some sort of comparison to the country I lived in last for an extended period, China. So far, with all due respect to the nice people I've met so far here in Denmark, I think I perferred China.

I know that is an odd thing to say, but when I went into China, I had some basic knowledge that I lack about Denmark. In China, I was familiar with Mandarin Dialect Chinese, so if I spoke slowly enough, I could be at the least understood by most people. In Denmark, although most of the population speaks English, I find it harder to communicate for whatever reason. While in China, I was not with an intensive language program, so I wasn't forced to speak Chinese all the time. However, I found by the end of my time in China that I was much more comfortable communicating in Mandarin. To be fair to Danish, I have not, nor will not, devote the same amount of time to it as I have to Mandarin (2.5 years so far). That doesn't change the feeling that even were I to speak Danish, I wouldn't be able to communicate well.

Another thing is in Denmark I feel less connected. In China, especially with the group I went with, I could not but be connected. I got to know the people I traveled with very well, and some of them have become members of my 'family'. Again, to be fair to Denmark, I haven't been here that long yet, and I am with a rather larger group of students. Perhaps there may come a time when I develop the same sort of connection to some of these fellow participants that I developed with those I traveled in China with. Currently though, I don't see that happening quickly.

When in China, I was made to hit the ground running, and it never fully stopped. Even in the moments of rest we did have, there was always the knowledge of what was to come, and that kept one's metaphorical feet in motion. Perhaps I will yet find my stride here, I have only been in this country since Sunday. However, the 'honeymoon period' I feel is already comming to an end. Perhaps it is a sticker shock. I could blame the value of the dollar, or just as easily the expenses of living in what has been described as a wellfare state. I guess its just something I will have to get used to.

In the meantime though, I will continue to mutter in Chinese under my breath and look for any opportunity to prepare some of the dishes my host mother taught me to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment