Saturday, January 2, 2010

Resolutions

After much meditation, I have come to three resolutions that I hope to keep for the coming year. It is shorter than the original five, however considering what they are, I know I haven't made anything easy for myself. However, resolutions by their nature aren't supposed to be easy things. I guess in part that's why we make them, to challenge ourselves. I once heard that something like 94% of all New Year's resolutions are broken in the first three months of a year. Given my previous experience, it is a statistic that I am willing to believe, but I hope to prove that record wrong.

My first resolution is to no longer take the name of the Lord in vain. It is something that I did entirely too much last year. While (as I have been becoming more conservative in my religious practices) I have cut down on the numbers of the Big 10 (Commandments that is) I have been breaking, taking the Name in vain has always been one of the ones that I break, early and unfortunately often. Would that I could blame it all on popular culture or something else much like that, but the truth of the matter is that I am at fault here. I need to be responsible for my own actions, and as such, I will do what I can to no longer say the Name in vain.

My second resolution is about sobriety. I do not like the person I become when I drink. While I have always tried to be responsible in my alcohol use, I recognize that the only way I can be completely comfortable with myself is not to use. I don't shun those who choose to use, nor do I condemn them. Rather, I rest on the limited self knowledge that I have managed to acquire so far in my life. I don't like the person I become, and certain gates are not meant to be opened. So during 2010, I will be stone cold sober.

Finally, this summer, I am going to do everything in my power to keep Kosher. By this summer I don't mean the period between the Summer Solstice and the Autumnal Equinox. I mean the period at which I am home and have a little bit more freedom in my ability to prepare food. I have gone Kosher before (ironically enough during the Lent of 2009) and found that I felt better about myself during the period. I recognize that Kosher isn't necessarily better for health (as there are many deliciously heart clogging Kosher dishes) nor does Kosher mean that all aspects of the food preparation are as ethical as the slaughter (as evidenced by the raiding of a Kosher slaughter house where there were many illegal aliens working). However, Kosher for me this summer will not be about cleanliness. It will be part of my attempt to find my way in the Jewish community, which is becoming an increasingly larger part of my life.

So there you have them, my three resolutions. I just hope I manage to keep one of them all year.

No comments:

Post a Comment