Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Amsterdam

I somehow managed to make my way to Amsterdam. I had to run through Heathrow yesterday to make my connecting flight (and will have to do so again based off of all my connecting times in my itinerary). There was a brief, horrible moment where I thought that I lost my ATM card (only to find it in the pocket of the wallet that I always leave it in). So I am on the ground, safe, sound, and not in any physical pain. It's just going to take time to get used to all of the (for me) surreal life of this place. It is indeed odd to see a church surrounded by windows where women are for sale. I guess it is something that I could have expected, however it is not something that I can see myself getting used to.

Amsterdam and Copenhagen are very similar in some aspects. They are both on the small side for capital cities of a country. Both have a very relaxed idea about when most stores open (not until nearly 10 in the morning for most places) but a very good idea about when they close (around 10:00 to 11:00 at night). I am sure that there are of course exceptions. I know that there are in Copenhagen, but finding them is by no means an easy task. Not that it really matters anyway. I've been here one night already, and I have two more to go.

So what will I do with my remaining two days in Amsterdam? Today I am going to go on at least one walking tour of the city. Tomorrow, I will most probably make a pilgrimage to the Anne Frank House or the Van Gogh Museum. Both would be incredible experiences, but for very different reasons. There is a place called the Amsterdam Dungeon that sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if it is some place I want to go. I'll make up my mind at some point tomorrow. Until then, I will enjoy my day today and see where we are taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment