Thursday, March 11, 2010

Groceries

At long last, a posting not related to my angst or confusion over matters spiritual. This is related to the joys of grocery shopping. I'm sure we've all done it. I was just thinking about the specifics of it in light of what I buy and where I go in Denmark. Within walking distance of the apartment, there are not one, not two, but three separate grocery chains. Convenient? Considering one of the stores is literally right across the street from my apartment, I would say so.

Most of the time, unless I need something highly specific, I am quite content to go across the street to get whatever it is I need. True, there is another store of the same chain within a ten minute walk that has slightly lower prices, but most of the time (at least for me) convenience beats out price. When the weather gets slightly nicer, I think I might make the ten minute walk to the larger and slightly cheaper grocery store, but as long as the temperature remains below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, I don't think I'll be making that particular trek much.

After talking with my mother, a few of my cousins, and friends of mine who have graduated and now live in situations in which the dining hall is no longer an option or choose not to partake in their university meal plan, I find what I am spending on groceries for a week slightly less than some and slightly more than others. Knowing just how pricey everything is here in Denmark, I was prepared to be paying out of my nose for groceries. However Produce is (remarkably) roughly equivalent to what I would pay in the United States. Maybe it is a little more expensive, but not so much so that I cry every time I buy an apple. I guess managing the budget I do have for groceries is one more thing that I have to learn about as I continue to mature and move on with my life.

So the weather continues to be mostly cold and gray. The daylight grows longer, but I still see little of the sun. I have booked my travel back home. All things considered, things continue.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment